I am going through a bit of an aubergine (eggplant) phase.
This curry is quick, simple and delicious with some rice and parsley and most of the ingredients can be sourced from your own veg patch.
-1 large aubergine, de-stalked and cut into medium sized pieces -Coconut oil, for frying -1 large onion, finely sliced -2 cloves of garlic, diced -1 1/2tsp mustard seeds -1tsp nigella seeds – 1tsp coriander seeds -1/2 tsp ground turmeric -1 1/2 tsp garam masala -4 large tomatoes/ 8 cherry tomatoes, cut into pieces -2 handfuls of parsley, to serve -Rice, to serve
- Preheat the grill to high. Place the aubergine under the grill and toast until lightly charred on each side. Set aside.
- Put the coconut oil in a frying pan and add the onion. Fry until turning golden, then turn the heat down to simmer.
- Add the mustard, nigella and coriander seeds. Mix and simmer for a couple of minutes before adding the ground turmeric and garam masala, followed by the garlic. Mix.
- Add the chopped tomato and turn the heat up. Keep stirring. The aim is to get the tomatoes to break down as much as possible before serving.
- Cut the aubergine into small pieces and mix into the curry. Keep stirring for a few minutes until the tomatoes have released their juices and broken down so that the ingredients look combined.
- Serve with fresh parsley scattered on top alongside rice (or I have had it with potatoes, to make it extra home-grown magic).