We have had a bit of a glut for cucumbers this year and I panicked when we had a fair amount starting to wither in the fridge so I quickly whipped up this recipe from River Cottage ‘Preserves’ book: Sweet Cucumber Pickle.
It is recommended in sandwiches, salads and with fish. My mum and dad ate it with macaroni cheese the other night and said it was a delicious mix.
It will last for two weeks in the fridge once you have macerated it over night.
Sweet Cucumber Pickle
(Makes 2x 450g jars)
– 1 kg cucumbers – 1 1/2 large onions – 1 tbsp dill, chopped – 250g granulated sugar – 1 level tbsp salt – 200ml cider vinegar
- Using the slicing blade of a food processor or a very sharp knife, very finely slice the cucumbers. Peel the onions and slice them very thinly. Combine the cucumber, onion and dill in a large bowl or plastic container.
- Mix the sugar, salt and cider vinegar and pour over the cucumber, onion and dill. Stir in.
- Leave overnight in the fridge (or at least 3 hours).
- Pack into a large air-tight container or jars and store in fridge. Use within 2 weeks.