Nearly the end of July – where did this month go?
Straight back to work this week:
- Weeding quinoa and amaranth patches.
- Weeding old trenches and feeding them before sowing seeds: radishes, coriander, parsley, spring onions, lettuce, rocket, spinach and ‘Alderman’ peas.
- Weeding and feeding sweetcorn.
- Netting an apple tree that the birds are partial to. They knicked every single one last year. It was time for some netting.
- Picking redcurrants, jostaberries, last of the blackcurrants and raspberries for now, last couple of strawberries, blueberries, last morello cherries.
- Clearing up bolted lettuce for chickens and ducks.
- Digging up two blight potato plants worth of harvest for boiled and mashed potatoes.
- Harvesting lots of very big courgettes, last broad beans, baby runner beans, carrots, cabbage, kale, cucumbers, lettuce, broccoli, cauliflower, peas, giant and beautiful onions, garlic and tomatoes.